Senior Backend Software Engineer
Remote, with ability to travel to Edinburgh City Centre
Salary between £45,000 and £65,000, depending on experience
At MRM Global, our purpose is to enable the world’s leading consumer brands to increase their sales and reduce wastage.
Research shows that up to 30% of physical marketing materials in the consumer goods industry are never executed and are instead sent to landfill, incinerated, or recycled. This wastes time, resources, money and most importantly has a huge negative impact on the environment.
At MRM Global, we believe there is a better way to support customers with physical marketing. We believe that the future is on-demand ordering, localised content, and distributed production.
Global consumer brands such as Bacardi, Diageo, Carlsberg, and many others use our Brand Creator technology platform to create customised and brand compliant marketing materials that are produced 100% on-demand through our global cloud printing network.
MRM Global is a high growth scale-up business with an ambition to become an industry leading marketing technology company. Since we launched our Brand Creator platform 5 years ago, we have grown rapidly (average year on year revenue growth of 41%) and have expanded into 35 countries. In 2020, we secured a £2.6m investment from the British Growth Fund (BGF) to fund our continued growth with a focus on expanding rapidly in North America.
Our next phase of growth is the most exciting yet as we scale the business globally and we are looking for brilliant people to join us on our mission to fundamentally change the way that global brands deliver their physical marketing.
Our culture reflects our rapid growth and our ambition to be the global market leader. That means that we are a fast-paced organisation where every day is different, and the work is challenging. We appreciate that the scale-up experience isn’t for everyone. We are specifically looking for people who love taking responsibility, challenging themselves and who strongly relate to our 4 core values:
- Teamwork: Growing a global company means solving some difficult problems and we believe working as a team and leveraging the skills of a diverse group of people is the best way to solve those problems. We look for team players with a track record of working with others to achieve amazing results.
- Resilience: We are looking for people who love a challenge, can handle uncertainty, and have the gritty resilience to overcome difficulties.
- Humility: Being open to learn and being able to admit when your wrong is fundamental to the having the growth mindset required at MRM. Those who succeed at MRM are humble with a powerful desire to develop themselves and to constantly learn.
- Authenticity: We believe it is essential to have genuine connections with team-mates, customers, and suppliers. We look for people that are honest, genuine and can build deep relationships with others based on trust and authenticity.
What you will do;
As a Senior Backend Software Engineer at MRM Global you will be responsible for the development of web APIs and cloud services that power our applications in the ‘Brand Creator’ suite.
As we expand into the United States, there will be a dramatic increase in the usage of our products and in the size of our user base. It is crucial that we critically review and improve all web APIs and services to ensure reliability and scalability. We will achieve this by growing the team with talented individuals like you, and in partnership with Seedcloud – a reputable technology advisor company who have a network of architecture and engineering specialists.
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with our team of knowledgeable Software Engineers, Testers, and Product Team in creating innovative software solutions. A project that you can expect to work on is the consolidation of multiple cloud services into one provider.
Our employees currently work remotely, but we are hopeful to regularly collaborate in-person in Edinburgh once it is safe to do so (approx. once a month). As such, applicants should be comfortable with working in a remote setting and should be located within the United Kingdom (UK).
What your responsibilities will be;
- Write, deliver, and review quality code, under limited supervision but with the support of your teammates
- Collaborate with the Product Team to analyse the efficiency and feasibility of new projects and features
- Deploy and orchestrate APIs
- Document and maintain software functionality
- Leverage opportunities to improve productivity and the developer experience
- Share your knowledge with the team in Lightning Talks, in a Dev Forum, and informally as required
- Present progress updates on projects and features to business stakeholders
What you will bring;
- 4+ years’ experience of software engineering in a web-based environment
- Expert in backend software development, using C# and .NET
- Expert in continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD)
- Expert in relational database development and document-orientated database development, such as Postgres, SQL Server, Entity Framework
- Proficient in the development of cloud services – our architecture is currently distributed across AWS and Azure
- Knowledge of agile methodologies, such as Kanban
- Strong shell scripting abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively with engineers, testers, and the Product Team
- Excellent attention to detail and strong problem-solving abilities
- Desire to continue to grow professional capabilities with ongoing training and educational opportunities
Not essential, it would be a bonus if you have;
- Experience using Docker
- Experience working for a high-growth company
The knowledge and skills we have listed represent “the perfect candidate.” No one’s perfect and we know the ‘confidence gap’ can stop brilliant people applying. If you love the sound of this opportunity please apply, we would love to hear from you.
You could belong here;
To deliver brilliant marketing to MRM’s global drinks suppliers and their customers we need to build a company that is reflective of their diversity. We are building an inclusive workplace that promotes and values difference, where everyone, from any background, can do their best work and be proud to belong.
What we will offer;
As well as your salary, we will offer the following:
- Pension. A combined contribution of up 12% of your salary for your future.
- Reward and Recognition. A bonus scheme based on company performance and your personal contribution, with regular recognition along the way.
- Holidays. 30 days including public holidays, with options to buy or sell extra days.
- Wellbeing. We will support you in looking after your health and wellbeing so you can do your best work. We operate a cycle to work scheme, and offer emotional and practical advice through an employee assistance programme run by BUPA.
- Central office location. Flexibility to work remotely, with a great space to collaborate with colleagues and contribute to our culture.
- Grow with us. You will have opportunities to develop your career in a high pace technology company as part of a talented team.
- Personal Investment. We will invest in your personal development and give you regular feedback. Plus, we encourage and support (financially) further professional qualifications
- Engineer Toolbox. We pay for licenses, so all our Engineers have access to a toolbox of best-in-class development tools.
- Open culture. A place where you can bring innovative ideas, try doing things differently and have a real impact.
Drop me a line